Thursday, February 01, 2007

OH SH*&%@

Just got back in from a fun night of seeing a couple of my old employees. No, they're not old- they're just no longer my employees. Get it? It's funny how they seem to like me so much more now that I am no longer their boss. They always liked me, but now they REALLY like me. Unfortunately, they don't feel the same about their new boss. Which is too bad. But secretly, it makes me happy. Is that bad?
When I got home I got a text message from my daughter-in-law. It seems I am going to be a grandmother. Yup, you heard that right- a grandmother. Oh Shit!!
I'm way too young to be a grandmother. Aren't I? Can't wait though.

I'm gonna be that quirky, cool, eccentric Grandmother that all the kids wished they had. I'll have tea parties with her teddys as we wear big straw hats and gauzy skirts. I'll teach her how to grow the best tomatoes anyone has ever seen. And we'll make pesto with our home-grown basil.
We'll spend Saturday afternoons at the zoo and breezing through museums.
She'll be like Madeline and we'll go stay at the Plaza in New York and have tea in the Palm Court. And maybe on her 18th birthday I'll take her to Paris. Just the two of us. We'll wear all black chic clothes and colorful scarves draped around our necks as we stroll down the Champs Elysee eating eclairs.
I'll make up fabulous stories of my youth to shock her. And I'll encourage her to be daring, adventurous, independant and free-spirited.
All of those things that I am still striving to be.

And, if it's a boy. Oh well, there's always Grandpa.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

Wow - congratulations, Gewels! You'll be like the grandmother I always wished I had!

GEWELS said...

Thanks India,
And, don't get me wrong. I love, love, love boys. I had 2 boys and only wanted boys when I was pregnant both times. I couldn't really see myself as a mother to girls (especially when they hit puberty-yikes).
But, it's time for a girl here.