Thursday, December 27, 2007

IS IT OVER YET?

Over the span of 12 days we have either attended or hosted 9 parties. Count them 9.

It all began on December 15th with a holiday party at a friends house- 2 parties actually. One where we didn't even arrive until almost midnight.

We, ourselves, have hosted 4. Allen is such a trooper to run to the liquor store on a daily basis.

This is how the table looked prior to party number one (last Thursday)...for my ex-employees from the flowershop. This is before it was completely laden with platters of food....mozzarella pesto and pine nut tarts, crab dip, salmon tartlets and chicken chili.


This is how the kitchen table looked before we drained the champagne punch and covered it with caramel apple martinis.


Since that night I have washed and ironed the white linens (silver and white was my table theme this year) 4 times.

We then hosted a brunch for the parents from our son's soccer team (they haven't even played together in 12 years). That menu included corn mini biscuits with sliced ham and cranberry relish and a fabulous potato basil frittata (I love the Barefoot Contessa).

That was followed by a traditional Italian Seafood Feast on Christmas eve...for 18 people, no less. Oysters, Steamed shrimp, Fried calamari (Mom's)and Portuguese Seafood Stew with 5 types of seafood added.

It all ended last evening with a Christmas dinner for Allen's family. Butternut squash and apple soup, roast pork loin with fennel, sauteed cabbage. And finally finished off with gingerbread, lemon curd trifle with blackberry sauce and a champagne chaser.

I'M DONE! Except for the cleaning up- that is.

If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.
J. R. R. Tolkien

9 comments:

Barbara said...

Oo-la-la! What a series of feasts. I would like several of those recipes if you are up for sharing. Do you ever give classes in decoration? It's a real art.

I would guess that you are taking a break from entertaining in January. No, that would probably be after the New Year's Eve party, yes?

Either you have been working out like crazy or it's a few weeks of Weight-Watchers to counteract all those calories!

Akelamalu said...

Oh you party animal you! :)

GEWELS said...

Barbara- I would love to share those recipes with you..let me know which ones (or all?).
We are actually, heading down to Charleston S.C. to visit with my stepson and his wife for New year's. I plan on sitting on their porch and reading- that's all!

Not working out like crazy- just walking and some very vigorous horseback riding (I'm finally cantering like an almost pro- YAY me!)
And, yes, Weightwatechers is looking pretty good right now.

Akela! Nice to hear from you-I'm kind of bummed 'cause I'll be missing a huge party tonight too. Waahhh!

Mother of Invention said...

Hope you had fun..even at your own parties! You must be a confident entertainer or Hostess. I dread it actually.

I am tired of all the visiting and eating so I just want to cocoon and enjoy the lights/tree for a bit longer.

Happy New Year!

Jo's-D-Eyes said...

OOOOW that are a lot of parties I hope you did nort eat too much (gained weight ) I did! So be carefull but enjoy!!!!!

I wish You a Happy and Creative 2008, Look at my Happy fireworks and wishes. See my blog:)

Not so little Woman said...

Wait. What happened? It all sounds amazing, but I can't see any of the pictures!!
Boooo!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year, Girlfriend!!!

xxx
red

Akelamalu said...

Wishing you A HAPPY NEW YEAR and everything that's good x

GEWELS said...

Don't know what happened to the photos- all of a sudden they disappeared.
Oh no! Bad Karma for the new year?
Geez, I hope not.